Re: fontsets/charsets documentation suggestion

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: fontsets/charsets documentation suggestion
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 22:15:30 +0300

> From: Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 23:19:51 -0700
>
> 2. A glossary. What is a charset, what is a font registry, what is a
> script name symbol, what is encoding and how are these things related?
> A ground-up explanation of the ecology of bytes, encodings, charsets
> and fonts would be great. Even, dare I say it, a diagram. This stuff
> is very confusing.

This is in the manual, see the node "Character Sets" and maybe the
other nodes from its parent "Non-ASCII Characters", if you need more
background.

If something is missing or unclear, please post more specific gripes.

> 3. What are the relevant functions and variables? As a non-expert user
> of middling programming ability, I was totally baffled by set-fontset-
> font and all the possible permutations of its arguments. Likewise for
> create-fontset-from-fontset-spec. Since those two functions seem to be
> the weapons of choice for font manipulation, their descriptions could
> stand to be about four times as long as they are, with LOTS more
> examples. And when you're trying to get your fontsets right
> (particularly with multiple languages), you need to see lists of
> possible charsets and registries. These lists are in variables like
> charset-list and charset-script-alist which *aren't mentioned in the
> docs*.

Can you give a list of use-cases for which you'd like to have
examples, and/or point out what is unclear or insufficiently detailed
in the "Fontsets" node of the manual?