Re: Recent recentf slowdown?

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: Recent recentf slowdown?
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 10:56:09 +0200

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 09:11:11 +0200 Stephen Berman <address@hidden> wrote:

> *Messages*.  But at startup there was again a pause when the echo area
> displayed the message "Cleaning up the recentf list...".  This time it
> lasted about 30 seconds, then startup completed and Emacs appears to be
> running normally.  However, the complete recentf message is "Cleaning up
> the recentf list...done (0 removed)", so I assume 30 seconds is too long
> and indicative of a problem.  With this emacs process running I started
> another Emacs with my initializations, including the same recentf file,
> and it came up without a pause.  Same thing with `emacs -Q --eval
> "(recentf-mode 1)"'.

I continue to see this misbehavior, i.e. a ca. 30 stillstand while the
recentf list is being cleaned up, even with 0 files removed.  Today I
reproduced it with -Q -l test.el, the latter file consisting solely of
this:

(custom-set-variables
 '(recentf-mode t))

This was with my recentf file.  Again there was a ca. 30 second pause
(one file was removed).  I have not been able to reproduce the pause by
repeating this with a new emacs process but the same login session.
Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be, or a suggestion
about how to try and track it down?

Steve Berman