Re: Progress on bug#3521? mode-line updates break process-send-region

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Progress on bug#3521? mode-line updates break process-send-region
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 22:39:18 +0200

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Andreas,

>> On my 32-bit machine, the error occurs earlier.  But If I insert an
>> `erase-buffer' call into your loop, so that the size of the temporary
>> buffer is bounded, Emacs completes the 999999-iteration loop without
>> any error.
>
> The whole point of the test case is the big size of the buffer string.
> This is a typical symptom of a GC bug.  I have checked in a fix.

Wow, this was quick.  Tomorrow, I'll test it and report back if the bug
is gone.

Chong wrote:
> If there's any connection with mode-line updates, I have not been able
> to reproduce it.

I already reported the bug as #2272, and Andreas checked in a fix for
it.  At that time, I couldn't reproduce it, but out of sudden, it hit me
again, and David Engster found out that it seems to be triggered when
the mode-line is updated.  He got the error because of `display-time'
and I got it when `rcirc-track-minor-mode' updated the mode-line.  So
since Andreas last fix, the update of the mode-line was needed for me to
trigger the bug again.

Bye,
Tassilo