Re: cp949 support

From: Jihyun Cho
Subject: Re: cp949 support
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 11:19:05 +0900

2009/6/18 Eduard Wiebe <address@hidden>:
> Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> In article <address@hidden>, Jihyun Cho <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> In the past, someone has submitted a patch that is similar with this.
>>> (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-03/msg01700.html)
>>
>> Oops, I have forgotten about that mail.
>>
>>> They have different code-space between this patch and the old patch.
>>> Which is the correct code-space?
>>
>> Af far as I see /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/CP949.gz, it seems
>> that the current one is correct.
>>
>>> I applied this patch, but some Hangul letters in CP949 region are
>>> shown incorrectly.
>>> For example, the Hangul letter "HANGUL SYLLABLE HAEH" is shown "HANGUL
>>> SYLLABLE JWIG" in this patch.
>>> But the old patch works well.
>
> Hmm..!?
>
>> How did you show those letters in Emacs?  By
>> list-charset-chars?
>
> The output of M-x list-charset-chars looks pretty good to me and accords
> with http://msdn.microsoft.com/de-de/goglobal/cc305154(en-us).aspx
>
>> Please tell me the Unicode code point of those two characters.
>
> @Jihyun, have you following chars in mind?
>
> HANGUL SYLLABLE HAEH:  Unicode 0xd58f, CP949 0xc164
> HANGUL SYLLABLE JWIG:  Unicode 0xc951, CP949 0xc1e4

Yes. It looks very good to me, too.

I ran the following test.
First, I applied a old patch.
I saved a file with VIM with the option "set fenc=cp949".
Then I loaded the file with EMACS. It is broken in my UTF-8 environment.
So I was typing "M-x revert-buffer-with-coding-system", "cp949", then
it looks well.

After applying this patch, I ran a same test.
It shows a wrong letter.

I guess the problem is related to coding system.

The problem that "HANGUL SYLLABLE HAEH" is shown "HANGUL SYLLABLE
JWIG" occured in EUC-KR coding system.
Because "HANGUL SYLLABLE HAEH" is not contained in EUC-KR region.
But CP949 contains "HANGUL SYLLABLE HAEH".
This patch could not fix it.