Re: Please consider fixing #3437 before release

From: Deniz Dogan
Subject: Re: Please consider fixing #3437 before release
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 12:21:59 +0200

2009/6/13 Rudi Schlatte <address@hidden>:
> Teemu Likonen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I heard that Emacs 23 will be released soon so I'd like to ask Emacs
>> maintainers or release managers to consider fixing bug #3437 before the
>> release:
>>
>>     http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=3437
>>
>> The bug report even has a patch attached.
>>
>> The bug is about kill-visual-line command behaving unexpectedly when
>> executed at the end of a logical line. I think everybody would expect it
>> to delete only the newline, like kill-line does, but kill-visual-line
>> deletes not only the newline character but also the next line up to the
>> cursor position. See the bug report for a concrete example.
>
> Aaah, so that's the reason for some of the half-sentences I produced
> recently!  Seems I'm so sure about the behavior of C-k that I just
> remove the newline and jump elsewhere, without realizing that too much
> is deleted.
>
> In other words, this has caused me data loss (text loss) and will now
> slow down my typing speed until a fix is in.

I felt exactly the same when I found this thread. I recently finished
my master thesis and way too often did I find only the second half of
sentences in AUCTeX. I thought I accidentally hit some modifier before
C-k causing this behavior... That being said, I think this bug should
have the highest possible priority.

--
Deniz Dogan