Re: What is the proper way to set the default font these days?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: What is the proper way to set the default font these days?
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 14:22:09 +0900

David De La Harpe Golden <address@hidden> writes:
> ?  It was my understanding (which could be flawed) that applications
> never look at .Xdefaults, it's up to you to do an
>
> xrdb -merge .Xdefaults

No, ~/.Xdefaults is read directly by applications, without using the
server's database (which is what xrdb manipulates).

I like using it because I often used to forget to re-run xrdb after
making a change, and using .Xdefaults allows me to omit that step.

The "rules" (by my observation) are a bit bizarre:  If there's
_anything_ in the server's database, even entries for an unrelated
application, then ~/.Xdefaults is completely ignored, and only entries
from the server database are used; otherwise ~/.Xdefaults is used.

[Gnome's interfering entries aren't related to Emacs at all, it just
puts some random crap in there, but that's enough to screw up Emacs
too.]

You'd think it would be more useful to automagically _merge_ the server
database with the contents of ~/.Xdefaults, but that's not what the X
libraries do.

Anyway, thanks for the tip on getting Gnome to stop screwing things up;
I'll try it...

Thanks,

-Miles

--