Font back end font selection process

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Font back end font selection process
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 14:59:43 +0900

Adrian Robert writes:

 > Also, often I have noticed that when given a Chinese text file
 > (encoded in UTF-8), the only request that comes through is :lang=ja.

That reflects the historical origin of Mule, I would guess.

 > How should the font driver know to return a kanji font instead of
 > hiragana / katakana?

If kana are present, it's Japanese.  If Hangul are present, it's
Korean.  If the accents outnumber the base characters, it's
Vietnamese.  Otherwise, it's Chinese.

There are more precise criteria based on usage of simplified
characters, but that would be good enough for a start.