Re: please make line-move-visual nil

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: please make line-move-visual nil
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 06:01:25 +0300

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 11:32:49 +0900
> Cc: 'Leo' <address@hidden>, Drew Adams <address@hidden>,
>       address@hidden
>
> Chong Yidong writes:
>
>  > This was done in July 2008, and there were fairly extensive discussions
>  > on this list then, and on several occasions afterwards.
>
> Why have prereleases then, if it's "too late" for feedback from users
> who are not willing to bleed on the edge, and who don't necessarily
> read emacs-devel with their morning coffee?

Pretest is not for changing the default behavior.  They are for fixing
bugs before the release.  The time for users to voice their objections
and requests for improvements is after Emacs is released.  There's
always the next release.

> You should also consider that for this particular default, positive
> they are unlikely to notice much aggravation in environments where
> visual motion is likely to be inappropriate, because those environment
> typically strongly discourage long lines anyway.  Thus the complaints
> are likely to be relatively late and few

I don't know why you assume this: I happen to use longer-than-80-column
lines quite a lot, and I'm quite sure it's not as rare as you seem to
think.  Not every text we see in Emacs is necessarily a well-formatted
program source.