easy-menu - why does it use :active instead of :enable?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: easy-menu - why does it use :active instead of :enable?
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 15:06:46 -0700

Why does easymenu.el use :active instead of :enable? This inconsistency just
makes things more complex for users, without any gain (that I can see).

The code even translates :active to :enable! Why not just accept :enable? And
then perhaps we could sooner or later deprecate :active.

Shouldn't we just choose one or the other, :enable or :active, and stick to it
consistently?