Re: M-x compile and window splitting

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: M-x compile and window splitting
Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 08:59:44 +0200

>> ,----[ /usr/share/emacs/23.0.92/etc/NEWS ]
>> | *** New value nil for split-height-threshold inhibits vertical splitting
>> | unless there's no other window.
>> |
>> | +++
>> | *** New option split-width-threshold controls horizontal splitting.
>> |
>> | +++
>> | *** A window can be split horizontally even when it's not full-width.
>> |
>> | +++
>> | *** New option split-window-preferred-function can be set to a function
>> | to override the default splitting mechanism of display-buffer.
>> `----
>
> I don't think those lines are very helpful for users without deeper
> knowledge of this area in Emacs. At least I don't understand a word of
> those lines.

Are the lines below more helpful?

martin

-----------------------------------
** Changes affecting display-buffer

+++
*** display-buffer tries to be smarter when splitting an existing window.

+++
**** The new option split-window-preferred-function lets you either
choose among a number of standard methods to split the window or provide
your own splitting function.

+++
**** The new function split-window-sensibly which provides the default
value for split-window-preferred-function tries to split a window
horizontally when vertical splitting fails.

+++
**** split-height-threshold and the new option split-width-threshold let
you specify in more detail whether and how split-window-sensibly shall
split the window.

+++
**** A window can be split vertically even when it's not full-width.

+++
*** If pop-up-frames has the value `graphic-only', display-buffer
makes a separate frame on graphic displays only.

+++
*** select-frame and set-frame-selected-window have a new optional
argument NORECORD.  If non-nil, this avoids messing with the order of
recently selected windows and the buffer list and allow to more
correctly identify the window least recently used when displaying a
buffer.
-------