Re: "C-c C-c" binding for "submission" in server edit buffers

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: "C-c C-c" binding for "submission" in server edit buffers
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 22:52:55 +0900

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>> The following patch seems to make things work more or less as my fingers
>> expect them too (maybe it should automatically save the buffer first, as
>> most uses of C-c C-c seem to do that); what do people think (of the
>> idea anyway ... maybe the implementation has some problem)?
>
> I see the logic of it, but I personally would hate it (I often use
> emacsclient for files where C-c C-c submits elsewhere than "back to the
> caller of emacsclient").  I use C-x C-c for "end of edit" instead.

I agree that it's might be a tiny bit too specialized to be turned on by
default -- after all, some people do use emacclient simply to start new
editing sessions.

Perhaps what would be best would be to have it off by deafult, but
provide a very easy way to turn it on from emacsclient, via a command
line option, an environment variable, or something.  I think when I want
this behavior, it's usually when invoking from specific contexts via
VISUAL/EDITOR (mutt/git/etc), but in those contexts, I pretty much
always want it.

Maybe just --eval ...? (but that can be a little annoying because it
might flummox invokers that don't use sh -c and do simplistic whitespace
splitting or something...)

-Miles

--
Back, n. That part of your friend which it is your privilege to contemplate in
your adversity.