Re: Profiling emacs.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Profiling emacs.
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 18:43:12 +0200

> From: "A. Soare" <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 17:09:38 +0100 (CET)
>
> Today I tried to compile Emacs including the profiler like so:
>
> CFLAGS=-pg LDFLAGS=-pg ./configure --without-x && make
>
> Emacs creates a profile
>
> However, when I run ./emacs -Q it creates the same gmon.out at all the times,
> even if I run and make something in emacs a few seconds or 1 minute.
>
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4625 2009-03-25 11:45 gmon.out
>
> Running
> gprof emacs gmon.out | less
>
> it shows just help information, nothing about the symbols of emacs.
>
> Could you help me with some idea how to compile emacs includin the profiler?

This is a commentary from emacs.c:

  /* Set up for profiling.  This is known to work on FreeBSD,
     GNU/Linux and MinGW.  It might work on some other systems too.
     Give it a try and tell us if it works on your system.  To compile
     for profiling, add -pg to the switches your platform uses in
     CFLAGS and LDFLAGS.  For example:
       `make CFLAGS="-pg -g -O -DPROFILING=1" LDFLAGS="-pg -g"'.  */