Re: Changing the MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 used by emacs --server

From: Sascha Wilde
Subject: Re: Changing the MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 used by emacs --server
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 17:44:44 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I made a naive attempt by
>> (setenv "XAUTHORITY" "/path/to/new/xauth-file")
>> but this didn't work...
>
> The way it is expected to work is: XAUTHORITY is unset (i.e. points to
> ~/.Xauthority) and all keys are stored in ~/.Xauthority.  The `xauth'
> command is used to add/remove keys to/from it.

>> - start an X11 server with -auth
>>   (which is what most display-managers or startx do nowadays)
>
> Yes, most display managers do that to start the display, but when
> someone logs in they also adds the display's key to the user's
> ~/.Xauthority file, so the XAUTHORITY var doesn't need to be set.

Thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately the gdm from Debain Etch in the
setup here does not do so, but only sets XAUTHORITY.  I'll try to fix it
in my .xsession file.  But I still think that it would be handy if one
could tell emacs to reevaluate XAUTHORITY or to change the used xauth
file by any other means...  :)

cheers
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde
... mein Opa [...]  würde an dieser Stelle zu Dir sagen: Junge, such Dir