url-get-url-at-point & url-get-url-filename-chars | comma-p

From: S+*n_Pe*rm*n
Subject: url-get-url-at-point & url-get-url-filename-chars | comma-p
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 21:01:14 -0400

The var `url-get-url-filename-chars' is bound globally to
"address@hidden()_/:~=&"
and called by `url-get-url-at-point' in ../lisp/url/url-util.el

Why isn't comma (",")  defined as a valid URL character?

RFC3986 denotes the comma (",") as a reserved character (sub-delim)

Per section 3.3:
|   Aside from dot-segments in hierarchical paths, a path segment is
|   considered opaque by the generic syntax.  URI producing applications
|   often use the reserved characters allowed in a segment to delimit
|   scheme-specific or dereference-handler-specific subcomponents.  For
|   example, the semicolon (";") and equals ("=") reserved characters are
|   often used to delimit parameters and parameter values applicable to
|   that segment.  The comma (",") reserved character is often used for
|   similar purposes.  For example, one URI producer might use a segment
|   such as "name;v=1.1" to indicate a reference to version 1.1 of
|   "name", whereas another might use a segment such as "name,1.1" to
|   indicate the same.  Parameter types may be defined by scheme-specific
|   semantics, but in most cases the syntax of a parameter is specific to
|   the implementation of the URI's dereferencing algorithm.

See; 3986 Uniform Resource Identifier (URI): Generic Syntax. T.
       Berners-Lee, R. Fielding, L. Masinter. January 2005. (Format:
       TXT=141811 bytes) (Obsoletes RFC2732, RFC2396, RFC1808) (Updates
       RFC1738) (Also STD0066) (Status: STANDARD)

(URL `http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3986.txt?number=3986')
-
I'm not necessarily advocating inclusion of the comma (",") in the
var, and I understand that doing so could pose potential syntax
conflicts elsewhere. However, I would like to know whether I should
expect the `url-get-url-filename-chars' to change at some point. It
would be nice to fully leverage the functions in ./url but I can see
where the occlusion of the comma (",") might present future problems
as currently defined.

(FWIW I seem to be encountering comma's in web URLs with increasing frequency).

s_P