Re: File name completion glitch

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: File name completion glitch
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 22:41:44 -0400

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> I do C-k ... TAB ... C-y
> I learned to do it this way in Emacs-19 and it served me well ever since.

I don't want to get into a debate about usage patterns, but that's two
extra keystrokes and one extra kill-ring entry.

>> The easiest "fix" is to add `emacs22' to the last element of
>> `completion-styles', which causing Emacs to fall back on Emacs 22
>> completion rules if the Emacs 23 rules don't return a match.  Is there
>> any reason not to do this anyway?
>
> We could do it this way or fold this behavior directly into
> partial-completion.  I find it to be a misfeature in most cases, tho.
> I.e. maybe the right fix is to change Gnus so that it behaves more
> like C-x C-w (i.e. if you enter a directory name, the default file
> name is automatically added).

That would not be a good idea, because it's helpful to know what the
attachment file name is, whereas with C-x C-w it's more obvious.  I'll
go ahead and fix this by setting `completion-styles'; the emacs22
expansion will only be called as a last resort, so there's no harm
anyway.