Re: File name completion glitch

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: File name completion glitch
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 21:59:50 -0400

>> In Emacs 23, I get this:
>>
>> Save MIME part to: ~/mys_foo.txt
>> [TAB]
>> Save MIME part to: ~/mys_foo.txt [No match]
>>
>> This happens because the TAB now takes into account the minibuffer
>> contents after the cursor.
>>
>> Stefan, can you suggest a way to fix this problem?

I do C-k ... TAB ... C-y
I learned to do it this way in Emacs-19 and it served me well ever since.

> The easiest "fix" is to add `emacs22' to the last element of
> `completion-styles', which causing Emacs to fall back on Emacs 22
> completion rules if the Emacs 23 rules don't return a match.  Is there
> any reason not to do this anyway?

We could do it this way or fold this behavior directly into
partial-completion.  I find it to be a misfeature in most cases, tho.
I.e. maybe the right fix is to change Gnus so that it behaves more like
C-x C-w (i.e. if you enter a directory name, the default file name is
automatically added).

        Stefan