Re: new compile.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: new compile.el
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 10:47:27 -0400

>> How do you set the alist?  With the new code, the alist is not used
>> directly, but instead it's "compiled" to a set of font-lock-keywords
>> rules, so if you change it after "compilation" it won't take effect.

> The alist is assigned before the first time "compile" is called.  So not at
> startup but only when the user calls "compile" for the first time.

I'm guessing that you're talking about the error-regexp code that's in
emacs/lisp/progmodes/vhdl-mode.el.  Looking at it, I do not quite
understand what the code is meant to do:
vhdl-compile-use-local-error-regexp sets error-regexp-alist in the
vhdl-mode buffer rather than in the compilaiton buffer.

I.e. please reproduce the problem and then in the compilation buffer,
check the value of compilation-error-regexp-alist (and if it looks
correct, check the value of font-lock-keywords as well: even if you're
not familiar with it, you should be able to recognize some parts,
e.g. the fact that each entry in compilation-error-regexp-alist should
have a corresponding entry in font-lock-keywords).

        Stefan