Re: allout update checkin questions

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: allout update checkin questions
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 14:37:44 -0500

> sorry, i was unclear.  i'm well acquainted with using CVS.

Great!

> What i'm clueless about are the emacs checkin and release protocols,
> and i have completely failed to find guidance docs.

There's nother written down.  But you asked at the right place (sorry
for not understanding at first).  Development of "future code" always
takes place on the CVS trunk.  At times, the trunk is not open for
random updates, this is the case right now for example because we're in
pretest, so only bug-fix should be installed on the trunk.  Later during
the pretest (probably not much before the actual release), we will
create a branch for the Emacs-23 release, at which point the trunk will
be open again for non-bugfix changes.

The intension of restricting the trunk to bugfixes and to try and focus
people on fixing bugs.

Note that we will likely switch over to Bzr around the time of the
release or around the time when we create the Emacs-23 release branch.

        Stefan