word-wrap feature for indented text

From: David Reitter
Subject: word-wrap feature for indented text
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 14:45:44 -0500

I'm passing on a suggestion from a user for indentation when using word-wrap.

I know this has been suggested but deferred back when word-wrap was implemented.

I would propose to tie indentation to a syntax-specific variable set by major modes, so that indentation can occur, for example, after every \item set in latex-mode, or after lines starting with "- " in text-mode, or "* " in wikipedia-mode. [The current auto-indentation function in auto-fill-mode, adding a new "- " before every line rather than indenting it, has proven more annoying than useful in my own use. But that's another issue.]

Begin forwarded message: