Re: redisplay - very long lines

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: redisplay - very long lines
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 06:16:38 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: David Reitter <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 18:02:57 -0500
>
> > If we can tolerate an incorrect display, maybe.  The invisible part of
> > the line could in principle include characters and faces whose
> > presence may have global effects on the rest of the displayed portion,
> > such as faces that use larger fonts, to say nothing of inline images.
>

> Are such consequences wanted even if the line continues beyond the
> window vertically (i.e. truncate-lines == nil || word-wrap != nil)?

Sorry, I don't understand: which consequences?  I think we want a
correct display under all supported varieties of display-related
settings.

> I could equally see the argument for displaying as many lines as
> possible and only increasing line heights when the user scrolls
> horizontally and the glyph is made visible.

That'd be horrible, I think: display jumping back and forth as point
moves horizontally.

> If this redisplay issue is all that hinders users from editing such
> files (e.g., XML without newlines), fixing it would be a good idea
> IMHO.

I agree.  If someone volunteers to remove this limitation or make it
less painful, they'll have my support.  But I don't think leaving the
display in so blatantly incorrect state is a way to do it.