Re: translation-table-for-input

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: translation-table-for-input
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 09:27:39 -0500

> > > I ended up removing the make-obsolete-variable call for
> > > translation-table-for-input, and instead added a blurb to its doc
> > > string to discourage its use for unification purposes.
> > Please don't.
> Too late, it's done.

I know.  What I meant was "please revert it".

>> The "obsolete" thingy mostly means "slated for removal", AFAIC.  So,
>> yes, it is "obsolete" because I plan to remove it altogether.
> Declaring something obsolete requires that we name which other feature
> to use in its stead.  Do we have such an alternative in place?

Just as with make-local-hook, the replacement is to not put anything at
all, because the trasnlation is now automatically done.

>> > Its use for character code unification is obsolete, but otherwise
>> > having a possibility to translate the output of an input method is
>> > a valuable feature.
>> I see no such evidence.
> My evidence is that there's no alternative to translating the output
> of an input method.

That's not an evidence that it's "valuable".  The absence of any code
that uses that feature tells me it's not valuable.

        Stefan