Re: bzr repository ready?

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: bzr repository ready?
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 20:03:57 -0500

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:
> The change is not omitted, it is part of the merge commit.  It is just
> not displayed when listing the changes in the file, since the merge
> commit itself did not contribute anything new to it.

Hmmm.  But I wasn't listing the changes on a particular file -- I was
just running 'bzr log --long' with no arguments, in my clone of the
emacs-merges-ce-master repository.

I tried it again with 'bzr log --long -v', and although it eventually
errored (see https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/267670), it got
through to November 2002, well beyond the change in question from 2008:

        [...]
        Merge from emacs--devo--0
        Revision: address@hidden/emacs--lexbind--0--patch-88

Yet that 2008 change still didn't show up in the output.

You say it's "not displayed when listing the changes in the file, since
the merge commit itself did not contribute anything new to it" ("it"
presumably meaning the file).  But then is there any circumstance under
which it would be displayed?

I'm puzzled because, as far as CVS is concerned, there really was a
change here: on the 'lexbind' branch, lisp/cua-start.el received a
change in revision 1.50.2.39, and that change was a result of
"Merge from emacs--devo--0".  I'm not sure what the string
"Revision: address@hidden/emacs--lexbind--0--patch-88" means in the
log message, but surely the fact that something happened to
lisp/cua-start.el at 05:34 on 2008-06-12, and that it was done by
'miles', should be showing up *somewhere* in the full log.  Yet there
is no record of this event at all.  Here are two consecutive changes
from the bzr log:

   revno: 88620
   committer: Miles Bader <address@hidden>
   timestamp: Thu 2008-06-12 05:49:27 +0000
   message:
     Remove RCS keywords

     Revision: address@hidden/emacs--devo--0--patch-1232
   revno: 88619
   committer: Glenn Morris <address@hidden>
   timestamp: Thu 2008-06-12 03:58:11 +0000
   message:
     *** empty log message ***

This event would have happened between those, but it's not there.

Is my puzzlement justified, or am I missing something basic?

(I'm pressing on this partly because I need to be able to document some
of the differences from CVS; if merges don't show up in a log of the
whole project, that's something we should note.)

Thanks,
-Karl