C-n and C-a

From: Richard M Stallman
Subject: C-n and C-a
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 09:32:12 -0500

The new definitions of C-n and C-p seem to work reasonably
conveniently with the very long lines that non-Emacs-users often
write.  However, it is very counterintuitive that C-a and C-e have not
been changed in the same way.  They keep surprising me, and I have to
work hard to remember not to use them to do the natural thing.

I think they too should be changed to operate on screen lines;
that's a necessary part of the change that was already made.

If C-a and C-e are changed this way, we would want some way to go to
the beginning and end of the real line.  Here are some ideas:

* Make C-u C-a and C-u C-e do this.  I suspect nobody uses
those combinations with their current meanings.

* Make M-{ and M-} treat each line as a paragraph.  That would be the
right thing for them to do in such text.  This would require either a
minor mode or detecting long-line text heuristically.

What do others think?