Re: --daemon vs. server-start

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: --daemon vs. server-start
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 15:30:29 +0100

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 16:44:16 -0800 (PST) Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> wrote:

> Stephen Berman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   > On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 12:39:06 -0800 (PST) Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>   >
>   > > You seem to assume that "emacs" and "emacs --daemon" are doing the same
>   > > thing, they are not,
>   > > emacs --daemon
>   > > is similar to
>   > > emacs -nw -f server-start
>   >
>   > Thanks for the clarification.  Obviously, I did not understand this from
>   > the documentation (Emacs manual, NEWS).  Did I overlook it?  If so,
>   > would you please give me a pointer, and if not, could this please be
>   > documented?
>
> No idea if this is documented, and I personally think it's not worth
> bothering,

If it is not documented, how is one to know that `emacs --daemon' is
similar to `emacs -nw -f server-start' rather than `emacs -f
server-start' and hence incompatible with X11 options (other than by
trying both, seeing the asymmetry and asking on emacs-devel)?

>            but probably the docs people would welcome patches.

I will report a bug and suggest a doc fix.

[...]
>   > and then invoke `emacsclient -c', the frame that appears has the font
>   > Dejavu Sans-10 with antialiasing.  In contrast, as I observed in my OP,
>   > with this invocation:
>   >
>   > emacs -Q --daemon -xrm "Emacs.FontBackend: xft" -fn "Dejavu Sans-10"
>   >
>   > the frame that appears upon `emacsclient -c' has neither antialiasing
>   > nor this font.  What I don't understand is why the former invocation
>   > "works" and the latter doesn't.  (I accept that that's the way it is, I
>   > just don't see why.)  I'd be interested in and grateful for an
>   > explanation.
>
> Again, starting
> emacs -Q --daemon
> is similar to starting
> emacs -Q -nw -f server-start
> add your options at the end and compare the effect.

I understand *that* they are similar, but I would like to know *why*
they are similar.  I looked at the parts of the source dealing with the
daemon but saw nothing that made the similarity, and the consequent
incompatibility with X11 options, clear to me.  What should I be looking
for?  (If this question indicates that my understanding is too little to
comprehend the answer, then I guess I'll have to give up for now.)

Steve Berman