Re: bzr repository ready?

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: bzr repository ready?
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 00:11:17 -0500

Jason Earl <address@hidden> writes:
> The problem with the emacs-merges repository is that the process I use
> to create it is a one time process.  That particular bzr repository is
> based off of Andreas Schwab's git repository at git://repo.or.cz/emacs.
> I import the repository using a gently modified bzr fastimport plugin
> (on a machine with enough memory you probably could use the stock
> fastimport plugin).  This process is incremental as long as the git repo
> doesn't have its history re-written, but that's precisely what Andreas'
> import process does to put in the merge information.
>
> In short, I can create a new version of the repository at will (well, it
> takes 24 hours or so, but you get the idea), but the repository will be
> completely useless for actual development work because I can't update it
> with changes from CVS.  I can only create a new repository and existing
> branches branched from the old repository will believe that they don't
> share any common ancestors with the new repository.

But if you could recreate a new version of the bzr repository from a
recently refreshed version of Andreas's git repository (that is, a git
repository very recently derived from the CVS master), then we'd be
ready to go, right?

(If a few CVS commits sneak in during the conversion, we could just
replay them into bzr later.  Or we could just lock up the CVS repository
during the conversion; I really think that for a one-time event like
this, that's fine -- a mild inconvenience at most.)

I mean, let's remember, this is a *switchover* :-).  After it's done,
none of us will be using CVS for Emacs anymore.

> When I originally made the first of the bzr conversions I got quite a
> bit of negative feedback about Bazaar and the usefulness of Bazaar as a
> distributed VCS.  So I wanted to make it perfectly clear that the
> repository was unofficial.

I think that's not a worry now.  Bzr has come a long way since then, and
our decision to use bzr still holds.  We just need to make it happen now.

> That being the case, I really think that the emacs-merges repository
> represents the best conversion possible.  I've done conversions using
> cvsps_import, and fast import conversions from both cvs2svn and from
> Andreas' git repository.  Andreas' git repository is the only way to get
> the merge information (basically he's hacked it in by hand).

So, let's figure this out:

Do we need to coordinate with Andreas to do the real-life conversion?
Andreas, if so, are you listening and willing?

Jason, assuming Andreas is willing, are you ready to do one more
conversion?

Stefan et al, is Savannah ready to host our "master" bzr repository?

I think we're close now.  Let's do these final steps...

-Karl