Re: X resource leak?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: X resource leak?
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 15:33:11 +0900

Chong Yidong writes:
 > Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:
 >
 > > I place an emacs -Q session and a konsole with xrestop side to
 > > side. Just opening a file, scrolling through, etc, makes the number of
 > > pixmaps and misc objects to grow. Killing the buffer does not reduce the
 > > number of X resources used by emacs. Something as simple as C-x C-f C-g
 > > increases the number of pixmaps by 4 (2 for C-x C-f and two more when I
 > > abort with C-g). Is as if the allocated X resources never were freed.
 >
 > I can not reproduce this.  Could you provide a *precise* recipe?

This sounds like the X server may not have the X Render extension
enabled, so Xft is using pixmaps to simulate X Render.  I have nothing
more to say about it, this is just hearsay from something I read
somewhere in passing (that for a couple of year Xft has had the
capability to use standard X calls to simulate X Render calls).
Anyway, it's easy to check for the X Render extension in the server
with xpdyinfo | grep -i render and in emacs with ldd | grep -i render.
If it's present as an extension in the server and linked in emacs,
probably that's not it.