Re: X resource leak?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: X resource leak?
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 17:01:23 +0100

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

>> On a emacs session that is running for 2 days with light usage, xrestop
>> shows this:
>>
>> res-base Wins  GCs Fnts Pxms Misc   Pxm mem  Other   Total   PID Identifier
>> 2c00000    99   43    1 11251 11297     2445K    269K   2714K  5460 Emacs:
>> *svn-st
>>
>> For a previous session, after 20 days, the numbers were even higher
>> (replace 11000 above with ~ 30000 pixmaps and misc objects).
>
> I just fixed a small X resource leak in CVS, but I'm not sure that's
> related to the numbers you're getting.  I have not able to induce a leak
> of that magnitude.  For instance, even if I create lots of new frames,
> closing those extra frames always brings the number of pixmaps allocated
> back to its original value.
>
> Could you do some experimentation to see what behavior is causing the
> allocation of so many pixmaps?

I place an emacs -Q session and a konsole with xrestop side to
side. Just opening a file, scrolling through, etc, makes the number of
pixmaps and misc objects to grow. Killing the buffer does not reduce the
number of X resources used by emacs. Something as simple as C-x C-f C-g
increases the number of pixmaps by 4 (2 for C-x C-f and two more when I
abort with C-g). Is as if the allocated X resources never were freed.

Could you provide some hint about how to investigate this issue? I'm a
complete X-Windows ignorant, but know the basics about gdb (and I
willing to learn).

--
Oscar