Re: Annoying paren match messages in minibuffer

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Annoying paren match messages in minibuffer
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 16:52:56 -0500

> As a general solution it would be better to change `message'
> to take care about the minibuffer's case.

I see 3 solutions:
1 - change `message' to use minibuffer-message when in the minibuffer.
    As pointed out, the delay can be problematic.
2 - change minibuffer-message to call `message' when not in minibuffer.
    This is easy to do and shouldn't suffer from those same problems
    but won't catch as many cases.
3 - introduce a new function that uses one or the other depending
    on `minibufferp'.  This won't catch any case until we start changing
    code to use it.  But it's the safest and easiest solution.  The only
    hard part would be agreeing on its name.

> I think `active-minibuffer-window' is not suitable for this.

Indeed, we have `minibufferp' for that.

        Stefan