Re: .dir-locals.el and bug-reference-mode

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: .dir-locals.el and bug-reference-mode
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 12:28:49 +0200

>> Log message:
>>      (change-log-mode): Add bug-reference-url-format and bug-reference-mode.
>
> I like bug-reference-mode, but I do not think it should be turned on
> in this way for Emacs ChangeLogs. It should be a matter of personal
> preference - it's entirely possible to work on Emacs ChangeLogs
> without it.

This is for the convenience of Emacs developers to save time figuring
out how to enable it.  It's just additional highlighting in the
ChangeLog files like highlighting of file names or function names,
so it can't be more distracting.  Maybe even change-log-mode should
enable it by default because bug-reference-mode is too useful.

However, unlike enabling it in change-log-mode, local variables
from .dir-locals.el currently can't be overridden by the user,
so perhaps now we should remove it from .dir-locals.el.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/