Re: Annoying paren match messages in minibuffer

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Annoying paren match messages in minibuffer
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 11:26:03 +0900

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
> Maybe the problem can be fixed by changing the way the message is
> displayed.  E.g. it could be displayed as " [unmatched paren]" at the
> end of the minibuffer input, as is done for minibuffer
> completion messages.

I think all messages should be.  I've used experimental code to do that
in the past, and it was _really_ nice.  No stupid awkward pauses and
annoyance like the current method, everything just seemed *right*.

However, for whatever reason, the last time this subject came up on
emacs-devel, it proved controversial [of course, it seems like pretty
much _every_ change is controversial on emacs-devel...].

-Miles

--
Abstainer, n. A weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a
pleasure. A total abstainer is one who abstains from everything but