Re: Moving to bzr?

From: dhruva
Subject: Re: Moving to bzr?
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 16:05:30 +0530

Hello,

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 3:01 PM, Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:
> Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:
>> Currently I don't follow the bzr repo, but use the git mirror.  But I
>> never got a pull that's longer than 20 seconds.  For example the pull I
>> did a minute ago fetching all changes between January first and now took
>> 13 seconds.
>
> It looks like the main problem is that the original author is running
> windows.

Git is very fast for me on M$ too. I am noticing some improvements in
the new bzr repo too. I had anti virus running on my system which was
a big cause for slow down. Every new file was getting scanned. If the
tool creates a lot of small files or open and close files too often,
this was triggering the on-access scanning. I figured out a hack to
disable it for the emacs repository folders and am seeing a noticeable
improvement. I am not collecting times for each invocation of bzr pull
and update. Once I have enough samples, I can post (on bzr list) the
average times. M$ has a nice tool called 'timeit' which is part of the
resource kit. This not only functions as a nix time command but also
stores the output in a DB. Repeated calls will append the information
to the DB file and you can query the average.

-dhruva

--
Contents reflect my personal views only!