Re: Terminology in multi-tty primitives

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Terminology in multi-tty primitives
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 21:26:54 +0200

> From: Chong Yidong <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 00:31:09 -0500
>
> > But again, maybe I'm the only one who is confused.  My confusion is
> > exasperated by the fact that I cannot find any useful methodical way
> > to describe all these functions with partially overlapping
> > functionality in the ELisp manual.  Suggestions welcome...
>
> As far as frame creation goes, there is just one primary Elisp interface
> for making frames: the function `make-frame'.  The frame parameters
> passed to `make-frame' determine where the frame appears.  The commands
> `make-frame-on-display' and `make-frame-on-tty' exist just for
> convenience: their purpose is to allow the user to interactively specify
> a display or tty name to `make-frame', using the minibuffer.  Internal
> functions, such as x-create-frame-with-faces and
> tty-create-frame-with-faces, should not be documented in the Elisp
> manual.

Thanks, but what I'm trying to do is arrange the new multi-tty
functions into some logical order of a few sections.  These are not
limited to frame creation functions, see the corresponding portion of
etc/NEWS.

Maybe I should just stop trying to describe them together, and instead
put every function where it belongs elsewhere in the manual...