Re: Conflict about M-s

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Conflict about M-s
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 22:17:45 +0200

>     It should be easy to write an isearch wrapper around `rmail-search'
>     (exactly as is already implemented in `Info-isearch-search' that wraps
>     `Info-search').  This will allow incremental searching with `C-s',
>     `C-M-s', `C-r', `C-M-r' in Rmail messages.
>
> Hold on -- I am not sure that is a good idea.
>
> It is useful that M-s foo RET will only find another message
> and will not find matches in the current message.  It is useful
> that repeating it with M-s RET finds a different message each time.

We can add a new key binding to isearch-mode-map that will do the same.
For instance, `M-N' in Isearch mode could skip remaining matches
in the current message and advance to the next message.  The same
key binding will be useful in a general multi-buffer Isearch mode
started with `multi-isearch-buffers'.

> Perhaps the thing to do is to move it onto the sequence M-s M-s.

This is the easiest thing to do and could be done also for other modes
which bind M-s.

> By the way, I think there are other modes which bind M-s.
> Did someone check for them?

There are not too many that I can find:

1. Gnus binds `M-s' to `gnus-summary-search-article-forward'.

2. Minibuffer binds `M-s' to `next-matching-history-element'
   (not useful any more since C-s can now search in the history).

3. Shell mode binds `M-s' to `comint-next-matching-input'.
   This key binding can be changed later when we will implement
   incremental search through the shell history.

4. `center-line' in Text mode was already moved to the text formatting
   keymap as `M-o M-s' (thus this binding is not necessary any more
   in `nroff-mode-map' too and can be removed now from the nroff mode
   because it can now use the global key binding `M-o M-s' `center-line').

5. PCL-CVS binds `M-s' to `cvs-status', and log-edit-mode binds it to
   `log-edit-comment-search-forward'.  Perhaps search commands
   on the global key binding `M-s' are useless in these modes.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/