Re: size of emacs executable after unicode merge

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: size of emacs executable after unicode merge
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 12:47:26 +0200

> From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 10:52:38 +0900
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> If one finds a reason of .5 meg eating, it may require just
> a few hours to fix it.  But, to find that reason, I expect
> one has to spend many hours.  At least, I've already spent
> many hours, and have no idea how many more hours to take to
> find one big reason (or to decide there's not such thing).

How about the following approach: run "temacs -batch -loadup dump"
under strace (or a similar tool), and make a report of all the calls
to memory-allocation services.  Then explore all those calls that
allocate significant amounts of memory that is never released later.

(To ease the job of correlating memory allocation with packages being
loaded, look at system calls that open and read *.el and *.elc files,
immediately before memory allocation calls.)

Would this approach allow to quickly zero in on the worst offenders?
If so, perhaps someone here who is proficient with strace and system
calls could work on preparing such a report, and then post it here?