partial-completion-mode (was: C-x C-b and C-x C-f bugging about confirma

From: Romain Francoise
Subject: partial-completion-mode (was: C-x C-b and C-x C-f bugging about confirmation)
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 23:27:03 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> BTW, while partial-completion-mode is not explicitly marked as
> obsolete yet, I do consider it as obsolete.  If there's some
> particular reason why you use it, I'd like to hear about it.

The reason is that I've always used it, and I'm not aware of
built-in replacements for its features. :)

For example, it binds SPC in the minibuffer to a command which makes
completion *go forward* instead of just completing the current word,
which enables e.g. M-x f SPC lib RET to run find-library, M-x isp
SPC c SPC d for ispell-change-dictionary, etc.  I never use TAB for
completion in the minibuffer, SPC is much more convenient to type
(I use ido for buffer/file completion).

I also use the partial completion itself (I often use M-x kg RET for
kill-grep), but admittedly I think I could live without it.