Re: CVS version: message mode + flyspell terribly slow

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: CVS version: message mode + flyspell terribly slow
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 22:42:27 -0500

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> It looks OK.  But I wonder: doesn't it make image-spec-caching
> redundant?

Yes.  I've checked it in, and removed the image-spec caching.

Performance seems to be improved, but still noticeably worse than when
the tool-bar is disabled.  For instance, the tool-bar seems to have an
impact on the slow scrolling that people have been discussing on and off
for the last couple of months.  To reproduce:

1. emacs -Q --eval "(setq scroll-conservatively 10)"
2. C-h n
2a. M-x tool-bar-mode RET
3. C-n (press and hold down, causing continuous scrolling)

When 2a is omitted, there are occasional pauses in scrolling.  When the
tool bar is disabled, scrolling is much smoother.