Possible bug in cua-mode: deactivates region

From: Teemu Likonen
Subject: Possible bug in cua-mode: deactivates region
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 17:19:25 +0200

I noticed that in cua-mode the cursor-moving commands deactivate the
region when it is selected with M-h (mark-paragraph) in
transient-mark-mode.

I like to use cua-mode only for its rectangle support so I have set
cua-enable-cua-keys to nil. Still the normal region (selected with M-h)
is deactivated when I move the cursor. It has something to do with CUA
property since I managed to fix the issue with the following hook:

    (add-hook 'cua-mode-hook
              (lambda ()
                (dolist (cmd '(forward-char
                               backward-char
                               previous-line
                               next-line
                               forward-paragraph
                               backward-paragraph
                               beginning-of-buffer
                               end-of-buffer))
                  (put cmd 'CUA nil))))

In other words, by setting the CUA property to nil for these commands
the region is not deactivated anymore. I'm quite a beginner with Emacs
so I don't know if this is a bug or just a result from something I don't
understand. I'd like to hear comments about this behavior.

(As a side note, I feel that it would be more logical if cua-mode's
rectangle support was a completely separate mode, like rectangle-mode,
and only Common User Access bindings were in the cua-mode.)