Re: C-x C-b and C-x C-f bugging about confirmation

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: C-x C-b and C-x C-f bugging about confirmation
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 22:23:18 -0500

>> it IS a big deal to have to kill the buffer:
>> with confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer = t:
>> C-x b fo TAB [expands to "foo"] RET [confirm?] . TAB RET ==> foo.lisp
>> with confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer = nil:
>> C-x b fo TAB [expands to "foo"] RET [new buffer] C-x k RET C-x b Up . TAB
>> RET
>> ==> foo.lisp

> Your argument is true only if one makes a mistake.  I don't think it
> is true in general that there are more typing mistakes than
> correct input.

The issue is not "correct input" but "correct input that leads to the
creation of a new file".  Generally, when you're creating a new file,
you know it, so you hit RET RET right away.

It's kind of like creating two different commands: one for opening an
existing file and one for creating a new file, except the only different
between the two is that you hit RET for one and RET RET for the other.

Once you get used to it, you'll see it's completely painless, even if
you create a thousand files per hour and never make any typing error
when opening existing files.

        Stefan