Re: quit-window is broken

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: quit-window is broken
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 11:01:34 -0500

>>> it would help if there were a user option switch-to-buffer-create-new-buffer
>>> with values t (like it does not), nil (signal an error) and 'ask (ask for
>>> a confirmation).
>>
>> I'd rather have it use the same new behavior as C-x C-f: if you type in
>> a non-existing buffer name, the completion requests confirmation.

> C-x C-f is guided by an option - `find-file-confirm-nonexistent-file'.

Right.  I think this customization variable is an instance of "Emacs at
its worst", so I'd be happy to throw it away.  But we could also just
rename this variable and reuse it in read-buffer-to-switch.

> BTW, we still have that
>          ;; FIXME: This behavior is carried over from the previous C version
>          ;; of pop-to-buffer, but really we should use just
>          ;; `get-buffer' here.
> issue in `pop-to-buffer'.

AFAIK, this shouldn't affect the user because pop-to-buffer is not an
interactive function.

        Stefan

PS: Or we could also add a gzillion foo-confirm-nonexistent-bar
variables for all the places where such a confirmation feature would
come in handy and some user gets annoyed because she occasionally needs
to press RET twice rather than once.