Re: size of emacs executable after unicode merge

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: size of emacs executable after unicode merge
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 09:48:45 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> Commenting out the calls to unify-charset does reduce the memory by
> several megabytes.

> But I'm not sure I understand your idea correctly.  Here's the approach
> I tried, do you think it is correct?

> - introduce a variable called inhibit-load-charsets-map, defaulting to
>   nil

> - In loadup.el, let-bind inhibit-load-charsets-map to t when loading
>   characters.el.

> - In map_charset_chars, when inhibit-load-charsets-map is non-nil, and
>   the charset method is deferred, don't call load_charset and
>   map_char_table_for_charset.  Instead, call a new function
>   map_charset_chars_from_file.

> - The new function map_charset_chars_from_file reads the code points and
>   character codes from the charset file and applies the function
>   argument passed to map_charset_chars on those codes directly.

> Would this work?

I think so, but perhaps it is better that we just set
inhibit-load-charsets-map to t before loading mule-conf, and
set it to nil just before dumping.  And signal an error when
it is found that loading a charaset map is necessary while
inhibit-load-charsets-map is non-nil.

And, we also have to modify `unify-charset' not to call
load_charset_map_from_file but just to setup up
Vchar_unify_table so that all characters in upper space that
must be unified with Unicode have value `t'.

How about making a branch, say "reduce-dump-size", and
commit your change so that I can check the code?

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden