Re: Please add a "Guided Tour" menu command

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Please add a "Guided Tour" menu command
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 23:19:24 +0200 (EET)

>> > So name the menu item this: "Emacs Guided Tour (web page)".
>>
>> Yes, it is important to add such a notice, otherwise running a browser
>> would a bad surprise for users.
>>
>> Another question is where to put such a menu item.  Help menus are
>> already overcrowded.  So maybe to add it to some Help submenu.
>
> No.  I think the tour is much more important than the tutorial.  (The
> tutorial is mostly for people who want to learn to use Emacs without
> a mouse.  The tour is for people who want to learn to use Emacs's
> useful features, like Font Lock mode and M-x compile.)
> So you should rather remove the tutorial to some submenu.

I disagree.  The tour is an advertisement of Emacs features, so it is
most suitable for references on Web pages, blogs, etc. to inform people
about Emacs features.  OTOH, the tutorial is crucial for the beginner
to start using Emacs.

>> Good idea.  We now have a new nice Doc-View mode that can display
>> PDF files.
>
> I have never tried Doc-View mode.  Is it as good as most other PDF viewers?

It is almost as good as other PDF/PS viewers.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/