Re: Emacs 23 character code space

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs 23 character code space
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 22:13:37 +0200

> From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 21:45:20 +0900
>
> I tried to rewrite nonascii.texi to clear the things.  I
> finished upto the "Character Code" section as attached.
> What do you think about it?

Thanks, this definitely helps.  Unfortunately, you worked from a
non-current version of nonascii.texi; I already modified the first
section heavily.  Please take a look when you can: I intend to
downplay the unibyte stuff heavily, while the previous version gave
unibyte and multibyte almost equal coverage.

In any case, I will certainly use what you wrote.  Thanks!

> @acronym{ASCII} characters occupy one
> byte, address@hidden characters occupy two to five bytes

So I guess you agree that NEWS is not entirely correct saying that we
use UTF-8 internally: UTF-8 uses only 1 to 4 bytes, not 1 to 5.
Should I fix NEWS in this regard, saying that the internal
representation is based on UTF-8, but extends it to handle additional
characters?