Re: Scrollbars on GTK.

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Scrollbars on GTK.
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 08:46:39 +0100

Óscar Fuentes skrev:
Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:
The vertical scrollbar is a poor indication of the view position on the
buffer. For instance, I'm looking at a buffer that shows all the text
except for the last two lines; the thumb's height covers less than half
the space occupied by the scroll bar and it is on the highest
position. If I move the point to the end of the buffer, the thumb moves
a bit down but still it's lower end is mid way to the bottom of the
scrollbar.
It's because the gtk scrollbar isn't flexible enough to cope with all
the possibilities allowed by emacs' text display.

[snipped detailed explanation]

Thanks. Almost none of the apps I use are based on GTK and I was
wondering if this behaviour shows a limitation in Emacs or in GTK.

It is not a limitation per se, but it has been descided that Emacs shall have the ability to scroll end of buffer to the top of the window with the scroll bar. That means tha Emacs differs from practically all apps, GTK or not.

Is this problem present in all the other X toolkits supported by Emacs?

More or less. I think the native scroll bar handles this best. Hardly surprising as the native scroll bar does not have any tool kit limitations. AFAIK, most apps don't see this as a limitation, rather a normal behaviour. I have not seen any app apart from Emacs where thumb at the bottom does not mean end of buffer at end of window and no more downwards scrolling possible.

        Jan D.