Re: emacsclient on WXP does not work (as it used to)

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: emacsclient on WXP does not work (as it used to)
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 13:27:46 +0100

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 12:15, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> Can you please explain why is this a problem on Windows?  I understand
> that the addition of current_frame to the `if' clause causes it to be
> entered on Windows, whereas it wasn't before, but how does that, and
> the fact that tty_name is NULL, cause emacsclient failure reported by
> dhruva?

I don't know why dhruva got the "connect" error message. My guess is
that they are two different problems:

 1.- emacsclient opened the socket (so no INVALID_SOCKET), but couldn't connect
 2.- emacsclient couldn't get the terminal name, and it didn't have
alternate-editor

though I don't know how or why 2) would happen, unless there were two
different emacsclients involved, called through alternate-editor (and
even so, it doesn't make much sense).

But anyway, my point was just that the very next code after the if() is

      char *type = egetenv ("TERM");
      char *tty_name = NULL;
#ifndef WINDOWSNT
      tty_name = ttyname (fileno (stdout));
#endif

      if (! tty_name)
        {
          message (TRUE, "%s: could not get terminal name\n", progname);
          fail ();
        }

so entering the if() is *always* going to fail(). I'm unable to see
how that be useful on Windows.

> Agreed (to the ``ugly'' part).

Glad we agree on this :)

Have you any comment about the other part? ("Are there legitimate uses
of tty == 1 on Windows?")

> I'd like to try to find a less ugly fix.

It's Chong's patch, perhaps he can shed a bit of light.

  Juanma