RE: option doc strings and Customize tags

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: option doc strings and Customize tags
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 12:49:28 -0700

> >>  >  nil      Case-sensitive
> >>  >  t        Case-insensitive
> >>  >  <other>  Use default
> >>
> >> I'd put the Lisp values in parentheses as
> >>
> >>      Case-sensitive (nil)
> >>      Case-insensitive (t)
> >>      Use default
> >
> > Sure, fine, whatever. It doesn't matter much what format we
> > use. Except that adding parens might confuse things for Lisp
> > values that are lists: ((foo bar)).
> >
> > A more general formatting problem is that the Lisp values
> > might be quite long. Some kind of abbreviation is probably
> > called for.
>
> A link that is opened in *Help* and shows the value with an
> explanation where it came from?

Possibly. But the point here is to show all of the possible values *together*.
You don't want to click a button/link and open *Help* for each possible value,
to see its Lisp value separately from the others.

A single display of all tags and their Lisp values (in *Help* or elsewhere) is
what's needed. See the original suggestion.