Re: Problem building emacs from CVS under MSWindow due to CR/LF and adds

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Problem building emacs from CVS under MSWindow due to CR/LF and addsection
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 01:50:59 +0200

> From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Vincent_Bela=EFche?= <address@hidden>
> CC: <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 20:33:28 +0200
>
> Actually I have not EMACSDATA nor in my environment variables, nor in
> the registrty. If I open an MSDOS console and I type
>
> echo %EMACSDATA%
>
> The answer is just %EMACSDATA%.
>
> But the thing is that I made the build from inside Emacs, and there
> EMACSDATA is set to the current Emacs etc directory (even though I do
> not set EMACSDATA in my init file)...

Emacs on Windows sets EMACSDATA (and also EMACSLOADPATH, EMACSDOC and
EMACSPATH) at startup, to account for the possible move of the
installation tree between the build and the run time.  This is
because, unlike on Unix, the Windows build does not fix the
installation directory at build time.

> I will try again with typing SET EMACSDATA= before building.

I think "M-x setenv" would be better.

> I don't think that it is strange to build emacs from inside emacs, as
> long as you just build, not install. This is what I did.

No, it's not strange.

> PS: Maybe there should be some robustness against this situation in the
> makefile, something testing INSIDE_EMACS along with EMACSDATA.

That's not a good idea: some Makefile's set EMACS* variables
themselves.  I will try to find another way to avoid pollution of
process-environment, though.  Thanks for pointing this out.