Re: gnus should accept UTF8 even if UTF-8 is standard

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: gnus should accept UTF8 even if UTF-8 is standard
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 18:23:53 +0200

On Thu, Oct 16 2008, Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:

> 2.
> Type `C-c C-m p text/plain RET' in the message buffer and add
> charset=utf8 manually as follows:
>
> < #part type="text/plain" disposition=inline charset=utf8>
>
> In this case the message will be sent with charset=utf8 .
> By this result I got to think the system-wide utf8 alias might
> be harmful.

Doesn't this already happen when no alias is present (or when using
some bogus charset, say "bogus-8").

[quoting reordered]
> Note that adding (utf8 . utf-8) to `mm-charset-synonym-alist'
> causes the same problem (I verified it with Emacs 22.3).

I'm surprised that `mm-charset-synonym-alist' has any effect on
outgoing messages.  I though it would only be used when displaying an
article.  Could you please investigate this?

> The utf8 alias is needed only for reading wrong configured messages,
> isn't it?  If so, I think it is enough using
> `gnus-summary-show-article-charset-alist'.
> cf. (info "(gnus)Paging the Article")

Maybe we should consider providing some entries in
`gnus-summary-show-article-charset-alist' by default.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)