Re: Emacs (HEAD) crash on M$ (XP) built with MinGW

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs (HEAD) crash on M$ (XP) built with MinGW
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 16:41:07 +0200

> Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 18:08:15 +0530
> From: dhruva <address@hidden>
>
>  I am still seeing the elusive and infrequent crash. I open a 'C'
> file, maximize the frame and use the page down to scroll down or down
> arrow. I keep hitting this crash off and now. The tried getting 'xbt'
> and could not.

xbacktrace will not give you any useful information when the crash is
inside redisplay, at least not normally, because redisplay is not
normally triggered by Lisp code.  Redisplay is what Emacs normally
does when it is idle (on the C level).

> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x0103ca47 in next_element_from_string (it=0x82e1ac) at xdisp.c:6263
> #1  0x0103b03e in get_next_display_element (it=0x82e1ac) at xdisp.c:5655
> #2  0x0103591d in init_from_display_pos (it=0x82e1ac, w=0x38f0e00,
> pos=0x3af23e0) at xdisp.c:3035

Is this optimized build or unoptimized one?  If the former, please try
reproducing the crashes with unoptimized builds.  If this is already
unoptimized, please see what part(s) of the `it' structure caused the
crash, and show here their value(s).

If your xdisp.c is current, and assuming that this is an unoptimized
build (and so the backtrace is trustworthy), the problem seems to be
with trying to display something based on some string, which is stored
at it->string.  Could you please see what string is that, and what is
its contents?  That might give us a clue about whodunit.