Re: Rendering Fix progresses, Now Input-Method (Was:Re: Making the mala

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Rendering Fix progresses, Now Input-Method (Was:Re: Making the malayalam rendering proper)
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 16:47:01 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, address@hidden (Shyam | ശ്യാം കാരനാട്ട്  |
Karanattu) writes:

>    Its A REALLY GREAT PLEASURE! to read  this blog from suresh ji
>    http://suruma.freeflux.net/blog/archive/2008/10/15/emacs-malayalam.html
>    which says about the malayalam rendering in emacs became perfect!
>    GREAT THANKS for the work!
>    I have tried the same and it seems working perfect so far.

Thank you for testing it.

>    Now comes  the next wish ;-) to make the malayalam-inscript input method
>    perfect. It cant enter zwj and zwnj at the moment. I could
>    correct it with a simple (quail-defrule "]" "‍") and (quail-defrule "\\"
>    "‌")
>    . But i dont know how to specify that in leim/quail/indian.el to
>    include it to the default setting.

The function quail-defrule has 3rd optional arg NAME.  You
must specify it as this:

     (quail-defrule "]" "‍" "malayalam-inscript")
     (quail-defrule "\\" "‌" "malayalam-inscript")

And, instead of changing quail/indian.el, you can put this
in your .emacs.

(eval-after-load "quail/indian"
  '(progn
     (quail-defrule "]" "‍" "malayalam-inscript" t)
     (quail-defrule "\\" "‌" "malayalam-inscript" t)))

Are those keys already widely used by Malayalam people?
If so, we'll add them in quail/indian.el.

>    Also the input method contradicts
>    with the xkb input layout, as it  swaps the place of two
>    characters. i.e emacs' malayalam-inscript layout has z for േ and s
>    for െ and Z for  ഏ  and S for എ while its z:െ s:േ Z:എ S:ഏ for xkb
>    layout which i cleared by creating another inscript-ml-keytable by
>    copying inscript-dev-keytable in the leim/quail/indian.el and swapping the
> place of (?Z ?z) and
>    (?S ?s)

Ah, I've just installed a fix.

>    Moreover  I got emacs crashing for various key combinations which
>    happens for  both type of input methods(xkb's and emacs').

>   (gdb) run
>   Starting program: /home/shyam/emacs/src/emacs
>   [Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
>   [New Thread 0xb7062720 (LWP 17362)]

>   Program received signal SIGABRT, Aborted.
>   [Switching to Thread 0xb7062720 (LWP 17362)]
>   0xb7efa410 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
>   (gdb)

> Thats the message i get as i try to display all the characters by
> passing finger over my qwerty keyboard (ACER aspire 5570z laptop) one after
> the other, starting
> from the one having `/~ (ൊ/ഒ) and works fine till =/+(ൃ/ഋ) but the next
> character q/Q(ൌ/ഔ) makes it break. with the message FATAL Error:(6)
> Aborted
> but just entering =/+ and q/Q didn't caused crashing. I could also find
> some similar keysequence causing the emacs to crash.

Please show me the output of gdb's "bt" command at that
moment.  And I think the problem is not in the input method
but in the display routine of the resulting character
sequence.  Please tell me which font is used and which
character sequence (preferably the shortest one) causes this
bug so that I can reproduce it.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden