Re: Info-use-header-line

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Info-use-header-line
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 22:41:03 -0400

On 18 Oct 2008, at 15:08, Stefan Monnier wrote:

There's indeed a conflict between several possible uses of header- lines. I'm not sure what we should about it in general. In this specific case, leaving the header-line alone sounds like a good idea: it doesn't solve
the problem, but allows the user to work around it.

OK, I have checked in the change.

There are some other occurrences of the same problem, though:

The following packages offer variables to switch off header line use, but set header-line-format to nil in that case:

calendar/diary-lib.el
erc/erc-list.el
erc/erc.el
ibuffer.el

Unconditional setting (but at least header-line-format is usually saved and restored):

elp.el (elp-results)
net/newst-treeview.el
net/rcirc.el
org/org-colview.el
proced.el
progmodes/gdb-ui.el
ruler-mode.el
ses.el

Correct use:
buff-menu.el
info.el (now)

I suggest to change the first four instances, because variables advertise a certain functionality and we currently don't quite keep this promise. In the other cases, one would have to review whether the header line can and should be optionally switched off. That could be done after the release.